Thursday, December 29, 2011

Houston We Have HD

It is not how things are in the world that is mystical, but that it exists.
Ludwig Wittgenstein, Tractatus Logico - Philosophicus, 6.44

It isn't that the Oracle of Ottawa is a total Luddite. But I can get stubbornly attached to traditional devices. Such was the case with my Toshiba 31" picture tube flat screen type television. Cable box? Hell no! I'll just run the damn cable right into the back of the TV and I got near 100 channels. Who needs more than that? You can only watch one at a time. Mean while the wife, was, and I mean constantly, nagging me to get a flat screen HD television with the Blue Ray DVD player and that damn HD box. I kept putting her off, by saying I would seriously consider her desire when the Toshiba gave up the ghost. A previous Toshiba lasted over 15 years. The one I presently had was about 5 years old. I thought I had a lot of time...  

It is worth the money....

Well God must have been on the wifes side. That damn Toshiba died last Monday, five years to the date of purchase! Son of a bitch! Was I pissed! All excuses just evaporated. The last two televisions I bought at Sears. As per earlier posts, Sears is not the place it used to be. I decided this time I would get served properly. Delivery, set-up and removal just like in the olden days, which Sears now simply refuses to do! I choose Bleeker's which is a very long lived quality operation that has been in Ottawa for as long as I can remember. So bright and early, on Tuesday morning, we paid them a visit. The first question I had for him was on the service issue. And the answer was; "We always do all that!" Most excellent...

This time we were determined to get quality. Sony Bravia and a 40" model, so my living room won't look like an arcade. We were in luck. They had a very handsome EX620 series in 40" on sale. Sold! Also took the "good" cables, the Sony Blueray DVD player and I bought that damn Cisco HD box, with installation, delivery and removal of the old set. Well it cost more than it would have at Sears no doubt, but the important thing is I got served! The delivery occurred on time and went really fast and smooth. Worth every freaking extra (?) cent!!

Now the wife is very happy and I am just amazed at the picture quality, and all those commercial free radio stations around channel 700. The traditional country music station is most excellent. And the Baroque station is also most excellent. I find that the on board sound system is quite enough for me. It is all going to take a while to adjust to, but I am now truly enjoying what I have been paying for. The first movie we watched was The Quick and the Dead starring Russell Crowe, Sharon Stone, Gene Hackman, and that Leonardo DiCaprio guy. I see it as a very important movie, in that the old hands are handing off to the new hands. It is to me a cult classic that has many messages on many levels. And the wife and I enjoy it every time. But it is especially riveting on a proper wide screen. And the color and contrast... Worth every freaking cent....


And the design looks good in a traditional home in the 40" size...

No comments:

Post a Comment