Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Letter to Heather Reisman

A paranoid man is a man who knows a little about what's going on.
William Burroughs,  Quoted in Friend Magizine (1970)

Dear Heather: 

This letter was going to be about minor matters relating to Chapters, Canada's  National Bookstore. I was going to complain about the declining quality and mixture of the titles that are now available as compared to the years, before you acquired control of this national entity. While doing some rudimentary research on Wikipedia I was quite shocked to discover some things I wasn't even partner to through the wildest rumor!

Chapters, Markham Ontario

I feel it is my Civic duty to inform you that, in your Wikipedia article you are referred to as a member of the Bilderberg Group! And I discovered a video on You-Tube which I am pretty sure is you as you checked into that hotel in Spain in 2010! (1:05-1:13)  Heather! Tell me it isn't true! Needless to say I am one of these many millions of the common minions that feel quite rightly that the Bilderberg Group does not have my interests at the top of their to-do list! Or if by hapless chance they do, it is to be-done!

As the largest purveyor of the written word in an open democratic society  I can not see these facts, if true, being good for business. And if true, it goes a long way to explain why the philosophy section and other subjects of open enquiry  are also slowly melting away, to be replaced with the expanded " tween" section that is always as empty as an outdoor  badminton court in Inuvik!   

Traditionally the realm and trusteeship of freedom of the press and the richness of the written word were the preserve of brilliant, gifted, Liberal people. Your Wikipedia article also states that you ardently support the Conservative government and stewardship of Stephen Harper! And yet  you won't sell me a copy of Mein Kampf  written by Adolf Hitler? So these "facts" cannot be true, right?

Much to my utter astonishment, I have been informed that I have been "hate" Key worded for this entry! I have been over the said text several times. There is nothing or was nothing that was not in the Wikipedia Article and there was no block or talk page banner on said article. (i.e. The factual content of the article was not contested.)  And I specifically asked if it was true?

I also showed very polite restraint in this entry. For instance I didn't mention that during this years New Year blow out sale (which I regularly attend with several hundred dollars on my person), that all the expensive books on my list were removed from the shelves for the duration of the sale only to be "restocked" the day after the sale! I would think that is a "combines" thing.... Also, I did not mention that when I would only pay cash, the aggressive clerk charged me regular price PLUS thirty per cent!! Is this the penalty for for not accepting an Avid Readers Card? Which I feel is a gross violation of my privacy!

YOU ARE A BOOK SELLER, NOT A CENSOR!!

The only way to prevent the debacles of the past is to allow the citizenry to be inoculated against it. Forewarned is forearmed!

If this is all we, the Canadian reading public have to look forward to I strongly suggest it is time to allow American and European competition into Canada. Not just one but at least two more competitors. Say Borders and also Barnes and Noble.

Needless to say I will never spend another cent at Chapters. And I strongly recommend dear reader that you also make other arrangements..

The Indexing of Books has not worked for the Roman Catholic Church and I daresay it will work even less for you... Oprah Winfrey  you are not!

Watch around 2:20 .....

No comments:

Post a Comment