Sunday, May 1, 2011

On The Eve Of A New Tomorrow

When one is deprived of ones liberty, one is right in blaming not so much the man who puts the shackles on as the one who had the power to prevent him, but did not use it. 
Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War, Book I, 69

There is nothing the Oracle of Ottawa loves to do more on any given Sunday than take a nice long drive up the valley to his home stomp'in grounds of his mis-spent youth in Arnprior and while on the way, listen to Rex Murphy's Cross Country Checkup on the CBC Radio One. The calls that Rex fielded today were some of the best I have heard on any call in talk radio show in recent memory. There is some thing real going on here. This has been the weirdest Federal Election campaign that I can remember. It has been chock full of incredibly eerie "omens" right from the start. And as the campaign progressed they started getting more ominous. Last Thursday's wind storm put the Fear into me of the winds of change that are blowing through Canadian political landscape. You can just feel the momentousness of it all hanging in the very air.

Something in the Canadian psyche just clicked (or snapped) and you could feel that a very large decision on this countries future had been subconsciously and irrevocably made en-masse. You could compare it to a paradigm shift in a major science... This is truly reflected in two momentis and unforeseen events. The first is the engagement of the youth and first time voters. The second was the realization that Jack Layton would make a pretty great improvement as Prime Minister! I did not see this rise in the NDP in the least. But if I wake up Tuesday morning and either Jack Layton or Micheal Iggnatief is Prime Minister of Canada, I will be a very happy camper indeed.

All of these blog posts are written "off the cuff". I first start with a title, than the quote, and finally the moving media at the end. Then I write the text. Just enough to seperate the ads! I learned this from my very first employer in Pembroke Ontario, when I had my paper route with the Pembroke Observer. Just when Lord Thompson of Fleet had just taken over....Yes, that was a long time ago....

Well tonight just as I pounded in the name of the post, there was a breaking news flash on CBC News World... Pretty weird I thought, late Sunday night, and the President of the United States? I thought for a second that Barrack had found another birth certificate or something! And the ratings of clipping the Trumpsters Nuts was so high, I can understand how these things can escalate... But when I heard that bin Laden had cashed his cheque ! Great God Thundering Jesus Bolts!! This President knows who to send out on errands!

All I want to do now is to get to my polling station first thing tomorrow morning and do the dirty for my man David McGuinty, beat it home to the fortified bunker, pull the blinds, and try to quell the tremors! And wonder, what the hell do you do with bin Laden's body? The first suggestion was to wrap it in pig skin deposit it a large glass tube of vinegar and display it at the Smithsonian... But I am sure the present administration will over rule the Republicans on this one... I strongly suspect that his remains will be cremated and his ashes spread out in several well documented, but undisclosed locations. The same procedure that the State of Israel employed with the remains of Adolph Eichmann... And then I hope around Wednesday things start to settle down....

A fitting tune for the events of the last few days..... works don't it??

No comments:

Post a Comment