Sunday, April 10, 2011

Conservative Slow Motion Implosion Continues

As I grow older, I have had to discard some ideas and policies because they no longer make sense. This strikes me as entirely healthy. I would invite others to do the same. 
Bob Rae, The Three Questions,  Preface, p. ix

The Oracle of Ottawa's prescience is only exceeded by his awesomeness! As per earlier postings when I relayed the feeling on the ground, here, in Ottawa that some big, big, freaking change is just waiting to explode on the national psyche I have observed nothing to date to change that opinion. As a matter of fact I see this tsunami cocking up like a Colt .50 calibre hand gun.

The latest indication, while the Oracle was on his coveted Saturday routine, as is my want, to perform my special downtown weekly book crawl, was the immediate notice of all the Tory signs that were visible last week are for some unexplained reason today.. well... gone! The backfire has started. And I have never seen anything like it in all the recent past. I admit I was shocked! This kidnapping of Tory campaign signs is endemic in every riding I have driven through this weekend.  Even, I must admit, here outside the fortified bunker in Ottawa South! At the start of the campaign the Tory's put up a sign larger than Dave McGuinty's at Russell Road at St Laurent Blvd. as they always do...But since the Press coverage of the other party sign vandalism in Tory ridings, the Tory signs all through the City of Ottawa are being held for ransom?

In Sundays Ottawa Citizen there was a story on the great Cheryll Gallant up in Pembroke Ontario who looks all but a goner! Any more of this and I am expecting Jesus on the front lawn at any moment! Canvasing with Elizabeth May, for the Green Party! What else could possibly happen to the hapless and soon to be in the wilderness Tories? Much to my amazement the answer to this question was made clear on the way home from dinner at the Mandarin on Ogilvie Road... The first free time CBC radio commercials were airing... I caught the Bloc Quebecois spot, where Gilles Dueceppe called the Conservative Party of Canada CREATIONIST!  What a howl! I damn near wrecked the car, I was laughing so hard.... You know when you hear something like that the whole shooting match is up in smoke.

But in retrospect as I bang this out on my trusty IBM Thinkpad (T41) appreciating the fast action keyboard, just as another irreverent writer of my youth loved his IBM Selectric, I can only think of one of his greatest lines...."Yesterdays weirdness is tomorrows reason why." (See earlier postings....) And here, in Ottawa, the last couple of years have been really freakin' weird....

It's up to you, you Game Boy, X-Box, Crack berry hammering young punks! This is your Canada to lose...

No comments:

Post a Comment