Monday, March 7, 2011

Yo! Girlfriend! Where's the Cheque?

This work, laborious as it may appear, has been to me a labour of love, an unfailing source of solace and satisfaction.
Sir Richard F. Burton, Introduction, The Thousand Nights and a Night, p. i

Well, I am sure you know by now that the Oracleofottawa is a big Wikipedia freak. Every now and then I check out the article of my home town. Just to see how awesomely lucky I have been in this incarnation of the cosmic ovarian lottery. I have been most fortunate indeed! And a lot of the time, now, as I advance in years, I feel quite guilty that I haven't done enough to justify my Creators trust. So I feel compelled that in some small way, everyday, I will make the world a better place. It is a Mantra that I made up all by myself and it is very powerful indeed. And, no, I did not register it as a Trade Mark. So, by all means, give it a try!

Centre Block, Ottawa, Canada
 According to Wikipedia, Ottawa had the second highest quality of life of any city in the Americas, 
and 14th highest in the world according to the "Mercer Human Resource Consulting Quality of Living Survey".  I figure we could be in the top five if we had more competence on the ground.  A lot of my disposable income in the form of taxes has gone into this achievement. And in my humble opinion not damn near enough is taxed in Canada! At the end of the day - YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!- That's it and that's all....

Now I was much surprised that a "sister city" of Ottawa is Beijing China! How the fuck did that happen? And how much are the Burgers of the City of Ottawa getting each year from the likes of Beijing for the basking in the softening glow that the reputation of the City of Ottawa provides? Maybe Gentleman Jim can bring this up with a certain high Chinese functionary at the next meeting of the Canada-China Friendship Association? (See earlier posting...) I think you should bring this up with your councilor at the next fart catching and arse smelling meet and greet. No?

"Freedomlude",  Beijing, China, June 05,1989
 But perhaps it is an error in the article? The Burgers of Ottawa surely cant be as naive as this? Again, ask the question of the good Citizen; What Is In This For Me? I figure if the chinese are not paying at least twelve million a year, we put them up for "adoption"!


May I suggest as a Sister City; say, Bergen Norway, Edinburgh Scotland, St. Petersburg Russia, Paris France, Washington  District of Columbia, anything but the above.....

No comments:

Post a Comment