Sunday, October 3, 2010

The light shines....

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through him, and without him was not anything made that was made. In him was life, and the life was the life of men. The light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not over come it.
John 1:1-4, English Standard Version (Study Bible), p. 2019


Saint John

Preamble:
John was the last surviving apostle and the only one to die of natural causes at the age of 94! Wikipedia has a beautiful article about him and it is worth the time. The board and scholars of the English Standard Version must certainly be proud of this translation. It brings the melodic counterpoint of the Koine Greek to its English  translation. Compare this to any other translation. The English Standard Version is head and  saint above the rest. It is hard to be a "one percenter". And it must have been frightening as hell against the Romans, whose pure cruelty of power would make a battle hardened combat veteran of today look like a school crossing guard. At the end of the day we realize that John was  a blogger, who posted to his medium with an enduring faith in the permanence of the word and the timelessness of his message.



Tomb of St. John in Ephesus, Turkey


Economy:
The Ontario Municipal Election is on October 25. The last time I checked there were 14 candidates for the job of counsellor  in my ward! Some wards have many more. The reason is that municipal politics is the entry level to public life in Canada, or if your really cynical admission to the shallow end of the trough! How to pick the right candidate? I will share an algorithm with you. Algorithms are very important. I count them as one of the three most  unsung inventions of modern life. The other two being the Haber-Bosch process and the standardized steel shipping container. Okay, here we go! Now this is not "politically correct" but it is easy and quick. First drop off all the fat ones. Reasoning: If the candidate cannot manage himself why would you allow him to manage your stuff?  Second: Drop off all the ugly ones. Reasoning: Ugly means inflexible, it means "issues", it means impossible to reach agreement on anything. Now you should have about two or three attractive candidates left. Now pay attention... Pick the second best looking one! You will get it right over 75% of the time! I read it in a math book, honest to God!

Media:
The prediction of the demise of the book I am afraid is somewhat premature. With the advent of the internet and Wikipedia I have never read so much in all my freaking life! I have an OED with the magnifier! I have two editions of the Chicago Manuel of Style! I actually looked in one the other day and it was interesting! I don't get no respect at all!! I have books read for Wikiqoute, I have books for cited references for Wikipedia. I have books in read, books to read and books that got to go.. My cat is threatening to call the Department of Worker Health and Safety if she gets caught in another remainder avalanche! Its tough.. I'm telling ya...


No comments:

Post a Comment